We are looking for VOLUNTEERS to join GEALC’s Committee of Management (CoM), and would particularly value expressions of interest from people who have skills and experience in FINANCE.
We are currently looking for a TREASURER (voluntary) to join GEALC’s Committee of Management (CoM). The Treasurer is an honorary position whose role is to oversee the income and expenditure of the organisation.
The successful person will get to be a significant part of GEALC’s impact on changing people’s lives so they can reach their true potential.
THE TREASURER IS REQUIRED TO:
- Have knowledge of and understand the GEALC Constitution
- Have knowledge of and understand the GEALC policies as they relate to finance
- Oversee and monitor the financial status of GEALC
- Support and liaise with the EO and the Finance Officer who manage the accounts
- Work with Management on financial plans and budgets
- Provide accurate and timely financial information to Committee (CoM) Members and funding bodies
- Present monthly income/expenditure/committed monies reports at CoM meetings
- Make projections on future spending and requirements of the organisation
- Liaise with the external financial auditor as required
- When necessary assist the EO and staff in preparing reports for funding bodies
- Ensure that financial records are audited on an annual basis and that an auditor’s report is available for the Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Present a report to be included in the Annual Report to the AGM
- Assist in succession planning and handover for this position.
In addition, the Treasurer, as a committee member, is responsible for assisting in:
- Setting strategic direction through business plans, strategies and budgets to ensure GEALC’s accountable and efficient operation
- Generating and managing policies and procedures in a responsible and accountable manner, to maintain GEALC’s long-term viability
- Appointing and monitoring the Executive Officer’s (EO) performance against agreed performance indicators
- Monitoring GEALC’s performance to ensure it meets statutory and common law compliance and reporting obligations, and funding body delivery requirements
- Ensuring GEALC’s Revenue, Expenditure, Assets and Liabilities are maintained to ensure its ongoing viability
The CoM delegates authority for GEALC’s operation and administration to the EO. The Board has no operational involvement in GEALC’s business activities and delivery of services. Its role is purely to set and review policy. The Committee’s role is governance. Management is the preserve of the EO and staff. Governance focuses on the organisation’s wider issues of purpose, including setting and monitoring strategic direction, and establishing and monitoring board-level policies.
COMMITTEE OF MANAGEMENT MEMBERS MUST:
- Be a member of GEALC
- Act in accordance with the policies and procedures of GEALC
- Declare any conflicts of interest at each meeting
- Take part in appropriate orientation and training sessions
- Attend monthly meetings, AGM and occasional special meetings
- Support the decisions of GEALC
- Support the EO to implement Committee decisions
- Monitor overall operation and performance of GEALC
- Prepare for meetings by reading minutes, agendas, reports and any proposals submitted for consideration at meetings
- Read and contribute to working papers and proposals for decision by the Committee
- Be available to serve on sub-committees addressing specific issues
- Attend workshops or short term task groups
- Keep informed about issues affecting GEALC
- Participate actively for the overall benefit of GEALC and encourage others to do likewise
- Act as an ambassador for GEALC and promote it within the community, at functions, meetings, etc
- Approve the annual budget
- Ensure confidentiality of sensitive issues is maintained (by not discussing issues outside the committee room or with non-committee members)
- Be open and frank and contribute to group discussions
- Listen to other members’ ideas and opinions and support other committee members
- Step into an executive position in the absence of the elected member. A nominee of the committee may be required to deal with concerns regarding the collection, use, storage, disclosure and access of an individual’s personal information.
To submit your application, please email Daniel Fine at email@example.com, using the subject line: GEALC Committee Member or phone 0438 592 557 for more information.